8.13.2011

Dinner from Japan, Reading About Mississippi

Tonight Michael decided to make me dinner, since I'm feeling under the weather. (I blame Ry and Natalie, who I'm sure sent this my way ON PURPOSE.) Because it's my favorite dish he makes, Michael spent two hours making fried rice, complete with his garlic compound butter and shrimp.
Michael's Famous Fried Rice


He also tried to replicate the ginger salad dressing from many of our favorite Japanese restaurants. It turned out well, and we jarred up a few more salad's worth to keep in the fridge.
Iceburg and carrots dressed with ginger dressing.

Since my favorite-ever boss, Natalie, gave me the ultimatum last week, "Hey, have you read The Help? You should read it, and we'll see it at the theater when it comes out," I've been up to my elbows in southern black maids, iced tea and grumpy, drunk senators. It usually takes me at least a month to read a novel, but I've had a fire under me to get it finished. She is my boss, after all. So far it's a decent read, but it makes me wonder what a white, middle-aged woman knows about the black servants of the civil rights era, especially enough to write a book. I'm all for empathy, but not for enthusiastic scare tactics. But then again, if it wasn't written by an actual maid, then I'm not sure I would trust it anyway. So, mute point. After reading about 60% of the book, I'd give it 3.5 of 5 stars. I'm hoping to see the movie with Natalie later on this week or this weekend.

On another note, there are only 3 weeks until we leave for Chicago! I'm excited to be taking this trip, which will be the first trip we've taken since our honeymoon without family or friends. With that being said, I'll take suggestion on food, sites, activities now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment; I'm all ears!