9.17.2011

Power to Recover

Not a lot of people (family and friends) know what I do for a living. They might know what my title is or have some idea of what I do each day, but they don't really know why I do what exactly it is that I do. It's a small part of what's called public health.

I believe it's important to help others. Even through the simplicity of this statement, it's the core that rings true with me. Life isn't about just you. It's about the people around you and how you, as a factor of humanity, live your days.

Oftentimes, people are caught up in something they can't handle themselves. They let it rule their lives. They think they don't have the power to conquer something they believe is bigger than themselves: addiction. Helping people realize they have this power inside of them to stop is most of the battle. I believe this is the key to recovery, and that's the reason I've chosen this path.

Excerpt from "You're Not My God"
Keith Urban

Little white lines on a mirror
Cut neatly in a row
Medicine that kept me from looking in my soul
I thought you were the answer
To all of my despair
And you almost had me six feet down
But I'm still breathing air

'Cause you're not my god
And you're not my friend
You're not the one that I will walk with in the end
You're not the truth
You're a temporary shot
You ruin people's lives and you don't give a second thought
You're not my god

From the cradle to the grave
Temptations all around
But no matter how good the fix
It's gonna take you down
Now some call it a weakness
Some call it a sin
But it's all the same behind each game
I see your evil grin

But you're not my god

*Update*
For clarification: Keith Urban is in recovery, and his drug of choice was cocaine. He's more than 5 years clean & sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment; I'm all ears!