12.08.2011

New in Town

Did anyone watch that movie called "New In Town" with Renee Zellweger? No? Okay, I'll tell you about it. Renee is a high-powered executive who lives in a warm climate (Miami, maybe?) and is relocated to Minnesota to save a sinking ship (production plant). She has a moment where she steps out of the airport, and is blasted by the icy cold wind, then runs straight back into the airport.


I'm waiting on my Renee Zellweger moment. It's going to happen, but hasn't yet. It's also odd to me that Dallas was showered with snow earlier this week, and Pittsburgh still hasn't seen a flurry. However, my White Christmas is inevitable.

Let's see. I haven't really blogged since early November, but I assure you, most of my time has been spent preparing for the move to PA and with family for the holiday. I say 'preparing' for the move rather than 'packing' because we weren't allowed to pack our stuff, which I found odd at first. The movers packed, shipped and unloaded out items, and we only had one casualty so far. Unfortunately, my prized antique blue chair had it's back left leg broken off. HUGE sad face. The relocation company swears they'll get it back to good-as-new, but I'm having a hard time coping with it. Telling Mom about it has helped a lot, as I knew it would. Other than that, I haven't found anything broken! The TV base is another story...

As soon as we finished the 20 hour drive (two 10-hour shifts, stopping in Nashville, TN), we dropped our stuff and the cats off at the hotel we were staying at. The cats did fine, by the way.* We dropped in to a Primanti Bros. to have the famous Pittsburgh sandwich, complete with coleslaw and fries on the sandwich. What a trip! Michael loved it, squirting ketchup on each bite. I thought it was interesting, and I'm glad I tried it! The french fries reminded me of MG's.

The next day was the Lawrenceville Cookie Tour, where local shops and vendors give out homemade cookies (baked by two local bakeries, based on the shop owner's recipes), to shoppers. Since we now live in Upper Lawrenceville, we used the event to meet shop owners, explore the neighborhood, and eat delicious cookies. The cookies were gone so fast I didn't have a second to take any photos! It was a fun morning/afternoon, with a lovely lunch at Coca Cafe.

Since then, we've been lying low, at either the hotel or our new house. The movers came on Tuesday, and I've been unpacking since then. I've also been jockeying the service installments (cable, internet, repairman). We'll be living out of boxes for the next week or so, but I hope to have everything at least unboxed by next weekend. I'll post more soon!


*Note: We chose to drive our cats from Dallas to Pittsburgh because of a suggestion by our vet. They suggested we make a trial run, and give them 5 CCs of Children's Benadryl to lessen their anxiety. We did that, and it failed miserably. So, we drove them without the sedative, and they did MORE than fine. They mewed for about an hour each morning, then were sleeping or hanging out the rest of the way. Word to the wise: skip the syringe-down-the-throat agony, and just power through!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your chair! Of all the things to get broken, that's definitely one of the worse! I'm curious about the tv base now...did it get broken?

    Anyway, I'm glad the move went smoothly overall and that you guys are enjoying exploring your new neighborhood. Good luck unpacking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to lie...I cried when the chair got broken. It was one of my prized possessions, and I'm not sure it will be able to be fixed. :-/ We're going to give it a shot, though!

    As for the TV base - As the movers were bringing in the boxes, I marked off each number on the inventory form. They called the number for the TV base box, but it never made it in the house! So, they found it on the truck and overnighted it here. They knew we needed our TV time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment; I'm all ears!